background

3/1/12

A Late Winter Storm

I know I've blogged about Winter items before but I feel like now is more relevant than ever consider Minnesota just got hit with its only large snow fall this year. Some parts of the state saw up to 20 inches of snow, with blizzard like conditions. Luckily here in Chaska only about 4 inches fell, but the roads were horrible and no one seem prepared for it.

But, were Minnesotans and of course we see all kinds of weather. I know I personally was prepared. After last years crazy snow falls I knew better and purchased the Snow Joe Snow Blower, there was no way I was shoveling my driveway this year. Plus, with the gas prices as high as they are ($3.54/gallon in Chaska) I knew I needed an electric blower.

It wasn't so much the snow that threw everyone off guard it was more the ice. Rain was falling all day Tuesday and then it froze into the night before the snow fell, so under our 4 inches of snow there was a good inch of ice. Before I left for work yesterday morning I made sure I was bundled up in my good winter boots and warm coat.

I always hear those horror stories of people going into the ditch and no one finding or seeing them for hours, stuck in their car, freezing. That terrifies me. You're told from the day you start driving in Minnesota winters to carry a safety kit in your car. With blankets, flashlights and a small car shovel to help dig yourself out if you can.

You can never be too sure in these Minnesota storms, it is always better to be over prepared. The weather man says were getting more snow tonight, hopefully this time everyone will be a little more ready for what is to come, and have their Minnesota winter essentials ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment