background

1/28/14

Super Bowl Recipes Part #2

Last week I mentioned some of the recipes I intend on trying for the Super Bowl on Sunday and I have a few more I'd like to share.

Everyone loves ice cream, and we need dessert at my party so now is a great time to try out my Ice Cream Maker.  I found this great recipe for Rhubarb Ice Cream, yum!

Ingredients

Serves: 6 

  • 5 stalks rhubarb
  • 2 cups (500ml) water
  • 1 1/2 cups (330g) sugar
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
  • good pinch of salt
  • 4 strawberries (optional)

Directions

Preparation:8hours  ›  Cook:45min  ›  Ready in:8hours45min 

  1. Chop the rhubarb and strawberries (if using) roughly and add to a pot with all the rest of the ingredients.
  2. Bring to boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes-until the rhubarb is soft and falling apart. Let it cool, then puree in a blender or food processor.
  3. Push the blended mixture through a strainer to get the pulp out... but you don't have to be obsessive about this step.
Chill this mixture in the fridge totally - overnight preferably - and then freeze it in the ice cream maker for 45 minutes...or whatever your ice-cream maker instruction book says for sorbet.

And what's a Super Bowl party without a good meat and cheese tray? I came across these cute little footballs. What a great idea! I'll use my Heartland America Meat Slicer.


In my last blog I mentioned the mini burger recipe and I kept thinking how I should probably make some french fries to go with those. I can finally put my French Fry Cutter to good use with these recipe.

Ingredients

  • 3-4 Large Russet Potatoes
  • 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pinch Lawry's Season Salt (optional)

{How You Make It}

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). 
 
Cut potatoes with french fry cutter.
 
Place the cut  potatoes into a microwave-safe dish with the water. Cook on in the microwave for 5 minutes on full power. Drain off liquid, and toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Arrange fries on a baking sheet in a single layer.  

Bake for 30 minutes, turning once, or until fries are crispy on the outside. 
 
recipe from: http://www.karenathomeblog.com/2011/04/kid-friendly-homemade-french-fries.html
 
 
I hope everyone is getting as excited for the big game as I am, happy 'Super Bowl' from the Heartland! 




No comments:

Post a Comment